Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A House With No Door - Confused in Lunenburg


Sometimes I'm just plain confused by The Town of Lunenburg's stance that my studio is not part of my home.  So, when Tony came in to the studio to discuss our lack of dinner plans and when Lego the dog came in to discuss his lack of dinner and Dustin (on the dog bed, under the blanket) came in to prevent me from working, were they in their own house or did they cross the threshold of the dining room and  leave home to visit my studio?




And then I wonder, since the steps to the basement are in my studio, do we now have a house with no access to the basement?
And the door...Now that is truly troubling to me because the door to the house that everyone uses actually goes through my studio, so do I now have a house without a side door?  This is most perplexing. I wonder what the building code has to say about a house with only one door.

Then I have this other question which weighs heavily on my mind.  In the last Live/Work task force meeting, the mayor said how she is very concerned about public safety in regards to home based businesses.  This got me wondering, what public is she referring to?  Are the occasional customers that come to my home the public?  How does she define public?  If you have a party in your house and you don't know all the guests, are they visitors or the public?  If a Jehova's witness comes to your door to sell you the truth, are they the public?  What about the fed-ex guy?  If you have a home office and a client comes to  discuss a project, are they the public?  If you have a tupperware party, are those people the public?  Does this mean that we can only allow people into our homes that we have met before? How long do we have to know them before we can let them in?    I have been searching my house, high and low, for public space, but I haven't found it yet.  As far as I can see, it's all pretty private.

I sure hope these questions get cleared up soon. Until then, I remain......confused in Lunenburg.

5 comments:

  1. and then there is public drunkenness, which is most certainly another dilemma.

    Cheers, Neil The Wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if someone you don't know is drunk in your home, is that public drunkenness or private drunkenness?

      Delete
  2. You are ever perspicacious Anna (and I'm increasingly finding that big words are required to describe your Brobdingnagian grasp of and tenacious willingness to take on this issue)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pulling out the dictionary, Paula.

      Delete
  3. Confusion is power. This describes the Municipal Government Act. The lack of clarity permits people to "interpret it" and then the Municipal employees will always view in their favor.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.